The Center for Mission serves the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis by offering opportunities to engage with mission communities overseas as well as expressing mission spirit here at home. This What’s New section is updated frequently with important events, dates and activities for the archdiocese.
September 5/6 Collection for Lebanon suffering from August 4 Explosion
On the weekend of September 5 and 6, we will take up this much needed emergency collection for those suffering in Lebanon. The Center for Mission will forward financial donations to Catholic Relief Services. Please be as generous as you are able: many are counting on our help. All donations are due to the Center for Mission by the end of November. Please give at your parish if you are able to, or send your check donation to: Center for Mission, 777 Forest Street, St. Paul, Minnesota 55106: Add “Lebanon Emergency Collection” on memo line. Or go to www.centerformission.org/contribute. For questions, contact Deacon Mickey Friesen, email@example.com, 651.291.4445.
Peter’s Pence Collection: Now October 4, 2020
Your gift of support for Peter’s Pence, on the weekend of October 3 and 4, is a gesture of solidarity with Pope Francis and the universal Church. This fund enables the Holy Father to support efforts like humanitarian aid to those suffering from natural disasters and war, assistance to refugees and immigrants, requests for aid from poor dioceses, as well as specific needs of the Holy See. Thank you for your generous support. If you have questions, contact Mickey Friesen, firstname.lastname@example.org, or 651.291.4445.
World Mission Sunday: Weekend of October 17/18
The theme this year is “Here I am, Send me.” This theme reminds one of the mission adage, “Some give to the missions by going, others go to the missions by giving.” This celebration is an opportunity to renew our own missionary identity and discipleship in serving, encouraging, supporting and praying for the Church’s mission. Due to the COVID situation, it was suggested that the Catholic Home Missions appeal, usually in April, be delayed to take place on World Mission Sunday October 17/18. So, World Mission Sunday, an October celebration in solidarity with mission overseas, will also include mission at home through Catholic Home Missions. On World Mission Sunday there will be one celebration and one collection supporting mission dioceses … everywhere. We are highlighting Liz Mach who served in Tanzania and Father Steve Pawelk serving in the Appalachian region of Tennessee as examples of mission in poor and struggling diocese, at home and overseas. Parish materials have been forwarded to parishes. They can also be found at www.centerformission.org/downloads. For questions, contact Mickey Friesen, 651.291.4445 or email@example.com.
“Finding God in Global Relationships” Conference: October 24, 2020
The annual Archdiocesan Parish Partnership Conference, featuring a video presentation from Vicar General and Moderator of the Curia, Fr. Charles Lachowitzer, is an opportunity to enhance your parish global partnerships. There will be discussion and sharing related to this call to ministry, especially through the challenges of 2020. Contact Janine Ricker for questions, 651.291.4504. Attached flyer >>.
Pontifical Good Friday Holy Land Collection: September 13, 2020
This collection helps the Franciscan Monastery in the Holy Land, entrusted as guardians of holy places and shrines in the Holy Land 800 years ago, provide charity for the poor, support Catholic schools, and fund pastoral and religious education in 29 Holy Land parishes. Also, in these times of crisis, the Good Friday Collection provides humanitarian aid to refugees. Please be as generous as you are able. This is a parish collection but feel free to contribute at www.centerformission.org. For more information, contact Deacon Mickey Friesen, 651.291.4445
Care for Creation: has a new contact email. If you are interested in joining, or discovering planned activities, email us click here>>
Catholic Relief Services Rice Bowl
A big thank you to those parishes, individuals and families, who engaged with the Rice Bowl program. The Rice Bowl program ended Holy Thursday, 2020. The Center for Mission, as the CRS office in our archdiocese, manages the Rice Bowl program and will forward all collections to Catholic Relief Services. To make it more convenient to send in those heavy boxes of collected coins, we have provided contribution options below:
1. Submit a check for the amount collected to your parish, who will then send a total collection check to the Center for Mission for Rice Bowl.
2. Mail a check for your collection to Bonnie Curry-Gabel, Center for Mission, 777 Forest Street, St. Paul, MN 55106. Write “Rice Bowl” in the memo line on the check.
3. If you would like to use a credit card for your contribution, go to the “Contribute” page of this website and click on “Donate.” Be sure to select “Rice Bowl” in the form drop down menu.
4. Or go to www.crsricebowl.org to offer your contribution by credit card.
COVID 19: Updated Guidance for Parish Missionary Appeals
The Covid-19 Pandemic has disrupted the normal schedule and process for parishes to host the annual missionary speaker in 2020 as part of the Missionary Cooperation Plan. The following updated guidance is provided to assist parishes as they consider how and when they will host a missionary in 2020.
- The normal timeframe for a parish hosting a missionary has been relaxed. A mission appeal may now take place on any weekend in 2020 that is agreeable to the parish and the mission group.
- Some mission appeals may need to be postponed or canceled because of travel restrictions for the missionary or changing circumstances at the parish.
- The format for conducting the appeals can be flexible to meet the situation of each parish. Appeal presentations can be given in person as usual or they may be given as video-type recordings for streaming services or other formats that serve the purpose.
- Mission groups and parishes should communicate with each other to address any changes that arise or need to be made.
Contact Deacon Mickey Friesen at the Center for Mission with any questions or concerns about participating in the Missionary Cooperation Plan in 2020 at: firstname.lastname@example.org / 651-291-4445. Applications for 2021 are now being accepted. Applications are due by December 1, 2020 and accepted applicants will be notified by February 2021. If you have questions, contact Mickey Friesen, click here>> or contact Bonnie Curry-Gabel at the Center for Mission at: click here>>
Download applications click here>>
Global Solidarity Sunday March 22, 2020
This parish collection supported four priorities of the US Conference of Catholic Bishops. By offering support you will helped struggling brothers and sisters in Africa, Latin America, Central and Eastern Europe as well as humanitarian activities of Catholic Relief Services. There are several opportunities for you to still offer support:
1. Still send in a check to your parish for this collection.
2. If you choose, send a check made out to the Center for Mission with “Global Solidarity Sunday” in the memo line. Send to Bonnie Curry-Gabel, Center for Mission, 777 Forest Street, St. Paul, MN 55106.
3. You can use a credit card by going to the “Contribute” page of this website and clicking on “Donate.” Be sure to select “Global Solidarity Sunday” in the form drop down menu.
If you have questions, contact Bonnie Curry-Gabel and thank you again.
Living Water for Kitui, Kenya
Donations gathered through connecting with the children in Kitui go towards supplying water tanks at schools and village earthen dams to collect rare but clean rain water. Schools and Faith Formation programs are encouraged to adopt this program. Contact Janine Ricker with questions, Click Here>>
Annual Writing Contest
The Center for Mission annual writing contest winners and runners-up have been selected. Check our winners and runners-up! Click Here>>
New Spring 2020 Newsletter
Check out the new Spring Center for Mission newsletter! It focuses on the amazing Erisman family in mission in Peru. Click Here>>
The Center for Mission accepts mass stipend donations and coordinates distribution to mission dioceses for the celebration of requested intentions. For Mass Stipend Form, Click Here>>