The Center for Mission serves the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis by offering opportunities to engage with mission communities overseas as well as expressing mission spirit here at home. This What’s New section is updated frequently with important events, dates and activities for the archdiocese.
Encountering Fratelli Tutti: January 26 – May 25, 2021
The Center for Mission is hosting a five-part series of presentations and discussions to dive into this very important encyclical from Pope Francis. This online series will feature specially selected speakers to lead us to discern how Fratteli Tutti can influence and enrich our lives. This series is open to all. Sign in here, or contact Adam Fitzpatrick for more information at Fitzpatricka@archspm.org, or 651.291.4410. Flyer Click Here
CRS Rice Bowl
It is that time year to order your Rice Bowl supplies! Catholic Relief Services Rice Bowl is an enriching Lenten program that invites us all to reach out beyond ourselves and encounter the needs of our brothers and sisters around the world. Educators and parishes will find many activities that enhance the Lenten experience. This includes prayer, stories, lesson plans, ethnic recipes, videos and almsgiving. Now is the time to discover what is available and to order for Lent. Go to www.crsricebowl.org. Questions? Contact Adam Fitzpatrick at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651.291.4410. Flyer Click Here.
The 2021 Annual Writing Contest has begun! This contest encourages students in schools and parishes to dive further into their Catholicism by answering a specific question. During this unusual year, students are considering how they are sharing God’s love during the pandemic. Students are judged for creativity and communications effectiveness compared to peers in one of four grade levels. Submissions are being accepted January 11- February 17, 2021. Flyer Click Here. If you have questions, contact Janine Ricker at email@example.com or 651.291.4504.
Living Water for Kitui, Kenya
Donations gathered through connecting with the children in Kitui go towards supplying water tanks at schools and village earthen dams to collect rare but clean rain water. The access to clean water is necessary for farming and livestock, thus food security. Schools and Faith Formation programs are encouraged to adopt this program during Lent or post-Easter. Additional information shortly. Contact Janine Ricker with questions.
Catholic Campaign for Human Development: November 22, 2020
This annual appeal is a U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishop’s national initiative to help organizations that focuses on alleviating poverty. These local and national organizations are run by low income groups with the objective of moving people from reliance to self-sufficiency. Donations should be submitted to your parish, or go to www.centerformission.org. For additional information and questions, contact Adam Fitzpatrick, or 651.291.4410.
September 5/6 Collection for Lebanon suffering from August 4 Explosion
On the weekend of September 5 and 6, we took up donations for this much needed emergency collection for those suffering in Lebanon.. All donations are due to the Center for Mission by the end of November. Please give at your parish if you are able to, or send your check donation to: Center for Mission, 777 Forest Street, St. Paul, Minnesota 55106: Add “Lebanon Emergency Collection” on memo line. Or go to www.centerformission.org/contribute. For questions, contact Deacon Mickey Friesen, or 651.291.4445.
Care for Creation: has a new contact email. If you are interested in joining, or discovering planned activities, email us click here>>
COVID 19: Updated Guidance for Parish Missionary Appeals
The Covid-19 Pandemic has disrupted the normal schedule and process for parishes to host the annual missionary speaker in 2020 as part of the Missionary Cooperation Plan. The following updated guidance is provided to assist parishes as they consider how and when they will host a missionary in 2020.
- The normal timeframe for a parish hosting a missionary has been relaxed. A mission appeal may now take place on any weekend in 2020 that is agreeable to the parish and the mission group.
- Some mission appeals may need to be postponed or canceled because of travel restrictions for the missionary or changing circumstances at the parish.
- The format for conducting the appeals can be flexible to meet the situation of each parish. Appeal presentations can be given in person as usual or they may be given as video-type recordings for streaming services or other formats that serve the purpose.
- Mission groups and parishes should communicate with each other to address any changes that arise or need to be made.
Contact Deacon Mickey Friesen at the Center for Mission with any questions or concerns about participating in the Missionary Cooperation Plan in 2020 at: Deacon Mickey Friesen / 651-291-4445. Applications for 2021 are now being accepted. Applications are due by December 1, 2020 and accepted applicants will be notified by February 2021. If you have questions, contact Deacon Mickey Friesen, click here>> or contact Bonnie Curry-Gabel at the Center for Mission at: click here>>
Download applications click here>>
Catholic Relief Services Rice Bowl
A big thank you to those parishes, individuals and families, who engaged with the Rice Bowl program. The Rice Bowl program ended Holy Thursday, 2020. We have provided contribution options below:
1. Submit a check for the amount collected to your parish, who will then send a total collection check to the Center for Mission for Rice Bowl.
2. Mail a check for your collection to Bonnie Curry-Gabel, Center for Mission, 777 Forest Street, St. Paul, MN 55106. Write “Rice Bowl” in the memo line on the check.
3. If you would like to use a credit card for your contribution, go to the “Contribute” page of this website and click on “Donate.” Be sure to select “Rice Bowl” in the form drop down menu.
4. Or go to www.crsricebowl.org to offer your contribution by credit card.